Looking 4 Myself, someone find me an Usher


We first met Usher as a solo artist in 1997 on his debut album My Way. Everyone knows you Make Me Wanna. I was in love at first listen. Had Usher posters everywhere. You couldn't tell me anything but they call me "U-S-HER RA-YM-OND, NOW BABY TELL ME WHAT YOU WANNA DO WITH ME.."lol.  He followed up with 8701 and everyone's favorite Confessions which to date is one of his greatest albums in my opinion.

Following Confessions was the 2008 release of Here I Stand and 2010's Raymond vs Raymond. Those My Way Usher fans would agree that his sound has transcended to that of pop rather than the sensual R&B tracks we're so very much accoustomed to from him. I just had a convo with a friend the other day because I was so excited about Looking 4 Myself, she said "girl, he hasn't been the same since Confessions".(Side note: I own his entire discography and I love every album in its own way. "Love You Gently" from his Here I Stand album is by far one of my favorite Usher songs.)

Looking for Myself follows suit as it has the pop culture music appeal of Raymond vs Raymond. In listening to Usher's last three albums, I think He and many other artists of his class/era are facing that question of revelance and longevity and honestly, Pop is where its at. (shrugs). Are they sell-outs? don't ask Peter Rosenberg... But  seriously with the Gaga, Bieber, Rhianna, and Nicki influence dominating the music scene, us fans, that have been fans since the beginning of an artists career are experiencing some heart burn in "wanting that old thang back". But it is just the American fan base? Are our favorite artists turning to the UK charts for acceptance? Is that where the money is? To go off topic even further, Music has definetly evolved into a business and when America produces good product, guess what, it becomes time to outsource supply, and create demand in other countries. Or is it  just a sign of the times?  Artists must evolve with the evolution of their fans, right? I mean look at the Isley Brothers , they started out with twisting and shouting and made their way to grooving with us.On the contrary, artists like R. Kelly comes to mind, his sound has been pretty consistent throughout his entire career and he has maintained his success. So what's this pressure for other R&B artists? Fan Base? Wealth Maintenance? Hmph, with Usher's unleassh of the Bieber Fever pandemic still brewing amongst love sick little girls and potential fictious baby mamas across the world, Usher really doesn't have to release another album, EVER lol.  So you either ride the wave or jump on the next best thing, but who's the next best thing? Trey? Jeremih? Jesse Boykins? Ryan Leslie? or Does Usher still got it?


I must say that Usher does remain consistent in the sense that his albums are a direct reflection of his life at the time of their release. I'm not sure we can say the same about most R&B artists. With Usher's personal life being pretty public throughout the years, his music seems very reflective, from the outside looking in of course. My Way was him coming of age, 8701 was him sewing his oats, Confessions was airing out those oats after sewing those oats went a little too far...he had to "let em burn", Here I Stand was him becoming a man in the aftermath of growing from his mistakes, and Raymond vs. Raymond, was him fighting himself, as a man and an artisit, as a father and a husband, and a ladies man.

Looking 4 Myself is no different. I don't doubt for one second that Usher is looking for himself on this album. The songs are a bit of everything from ballads, to pop, to hip-hop. The feel of the album is that Usher is trying to regain himself. The sound is edgy with some futuristic sounding production.

Do I love it? ehhh...I feel that if I compare it to his other works I'm always going to want that Confessions sound back. Where track after track after track was pure sensational R&B that told a story.

If you're looking for Confessions Usher, he kind of appears on songs like "Lessons for the Lover" and "What Happened to You". If you're not convinced if the pop sound works for him, or you for that matter, check out the opening track "Can't Stop Won't Stop" I personally, am a sucker for 808's and snares and he's done it here.

The album features the likes of Pharrell on the track Twisted, A$AP Rocky on Hot Thing, Luke Steele on title track Looking 4 Myself, and the Boss himself Rick Ross, on the single "Lemme See".

To sum it all up, this album gives you a little bit of everything. If you like your R&B a certain way, such as bump and grind, I'm in love, please don't leave me...., you're not going to enjoy this album in its entirety. It doesn't fit that particular formula. I think to like it you have to completely wipe Confessions out of your mind and embrace a new sound...or you could just continue to listen to Confessions. LOL

If I had to grade this album I'd give a solid B+/ A-.

Check out my two favorite song from the album titled I.F.U. and  Twisted ft. Pharell





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback