Good thing God Forgives, because Rick Ross surely doesnt'!





I originally fell in love with the sound of Rick Ross on his 2006 song  Blow ft. Dre from his first album Port of Miami. I actually blew my speakers out to say the least. I own every single album and mixtape in his discography, even when I crashed two computers. I re-stocked. Fan? Definetly, so this blog may be biased.

Rick Ross came on the scence and re-defined for us what Miami and Flordia had to offer music wise with the hype of Uncle Luke and the Slip n Slide records crew taking a backseat from the mainstream music scene.

He returns with his 5th studio album God Forgives, I Don't (GFID). I imagine his albums to tell the story of a don making his rise in the drug kingpin. His albums have always been for me, something to ride to. Its definetly street music. I sometimes want to compare it to Jeezy's trap music sound, but the huskiness of Ross' voice is more of supplier vs. the eagerness of Jeezy as the hustler.

God Forgives I Don't is an album that paints the  portrait of the eloquent side of the street life. It paints a picture of royalty and sophistication. Its slacks and half buttoned silk shirts and cigars vs oversized t-shirts to disguise weaponry and grungy jeans. It is a testament of I have arrived, I'm at the top of my game, now its time to enjoy the money I've made.

I will admit that I was a little anxious about this album because in the back of my head, I questioned if he could give anymore, content wise... From the past four albums I have a blueprint to set up an entire illegal ring of drug trafficking LOL!  I was afraid I was going to be bored but that's not the case here. I honestly, unbiasedly enjoyed the album from start to finish in the same manner as his 2010 Teflon Don album ( I wasn't a huge fan of 2009's Deeper than Rap).

Nonetheless, if I had to crown Rick Ross as king of anything it would definetly be his collaborations. Each album features your favorite artists talking shit, together, which is what my ears lust for!.GFID doesn't  disappoint in doing that. From 3 Kings ft Jay-z and Dr. Dre (btw will I get to do a Detox review before I leave this earth? lol!)  to the likes of Ne-yo on Maybach Music IV, Andre 3000 on Sixteen, to a laundry list of heavy hitters: Drake, Wale, Meek Mill, Nas, Usher, Stalley, and John Legend.

I definetly give this album two thumbs up. Check out my favorite track on the album Diced Pineapples



Check out my

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback