The Kat's Meow Interview with Hip-Hop Artist: Ace Da Youngin




The Kat's Meow is the official interview segment of the The HairyKat Chronicles.

We caught up with Connecticut Hip-Hop Artist Ace Da Youngin  to get some insight on who he has as an artist. As I chatted with him the word that kept going through my head was "Destiny". I'm sure he knows already, but he's definitely destined to be a hip-hop legend. Check out our interview below as well as some hot tracks from some of his projects.


HK: “What’s your first memory of hip-hop music and how has that influenced you as an artist?”

ACE: “I do remember as a child I used to go in my cousin’s room and go through his tape collections and I used to listen to the tapes and write out the lyrics word by word. One of the songs was by this guy Paperboy.  I would play every one of my cousin’s tapes. As a child I was having fun with it not knowing that was building me up to being a music artist.  I kept doing that unknowingly it just became a part of me.”

 

HK: “Tell me a little bit about your journey as an artist: How you got started, What was your first time recording like?”

ACE: “Well it was back in the day as a child, my older brother makes beats, he would beat box and I would rap and we would do that all day. It’s always been there.  I wrote my first rap listening to Jadakiss’s  first album ‘Kiss The Game Goodbye’,  it wasn’t  the typical rap lyrics,  I was writing punch lines and then I actually wrote a verse.

The first time I recorded I want to say was in Boston.  My brother and his boy were a rap group.  I went to school in California and came to visit during the summer. They had a recording studio and I would always have verses memorized. They had a beat on and I tried it out knocked it out in one take, killed! Later on that night they had a talent show at Boston University and they wanted me to be in it but I didn’t want to do it. Behind my back they snuck and wrote my name on the paper to sign me up and I’m just sitting there watching the acts go and  at the end of the show I hear my name.  I go up there and they came on stage with me and I took it home and knocked it out the park and had the rest of the crowd going crazy and the rest is history. “

HK: “What sorts of pressures, if any, exists for new artist trying to break their way into the industry?”

ACE: “I wouldn’t call it pressure. I would call it anxiety, to be anxious to be heard. Me personally, I just want to be heard by the masses. I’m pretty sure I know how to rap, I’m in a stage of I just need to be heard. But coming in as a new artist, I want to get my music to the right people so that I can be heard. There is the pressure of not being in the right place at the right time to get to the right people. When you’re not meeting the right people, it’s like being on a treadmill going and going nowhere, and being in the same spot.”

 

HK: “As an artist. What do you feel you’re contributing to the current culture of hip-hop?”
ACE: “I feel like I’m contributing by not contributing to the negative stuff: the shoot em up bang bang portraying this or that in the wrong way. That’s what’s really being glorified right now in the game: all the negativity because people like entertainment.  I’m contributing by pushing us forward and helping us stay in a more positive light and keeping music in a positive light.  Every artist has a responsibility to be a role model if we like it or not.  Children, elders, our family, are listening.  Everything you say is your responsibility.  You’re just taking us back further and  further with the negativity.  Keep it fun and keep it real, mainly real and just have fun with it. “

 

HK: “What would be your dream collaboration?”

ACE: “Well two out of three have passed away Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson.  Right now it would be Jay-Z .  I grew up listening to him.”


HK: “ What would you say to other artists pursuing a music career?”

ACE: “I would tell them to stay true to who you are. It may sound clichĂ© but its real, you don’t have to compromise for people to like you. Once you compromise your music gets watered down. Don’t feel like you have to be an artist that has to make 100 moves , make the right move.  It’s like a boxing match you can throw a bunch of jabs and their not landing anything and then end up getting knocked out by 1 upper cut. Make the right moves and of course put God first. If you not doing that you not doing anything. Don’t let anyone let you stray away from how you feel about your own music people have to love you for what you do.”


HK: “What current projects are you working on?”

ACE: “I’m working on Big Brother 2 Mixtape.  I’ve also got some tracks that have radio potential. I’m thinking about doing an EP or something with a mainstream feel so I can get those tracks out.  Something that can be played on the radio rather than underground.  I’m not one of those artists that hold on to tracks, if they’re good they’re going to be put out. “
 
 
 
Check out Ace Da Youngin's Big Brother Mixtape: http://www.datpiff.com/Ace-Da-Youngin-Big-Brother-mixtape.473732.html
 
 
and last but not least call up your local radio stations and tell your DJ Friends to spin this track titled: That's Bad Remix (SupaDupa Bad) featured below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OziGPk0vj8c



 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback