Why I wish the MJ Hologram Didnt Occur



If you didn't know (because you were chilling under your rock) the 2014 Billboard Music Awards debuted a Michael Jackson performance last night featuring...wait for it... Michael Jackson (in hologram format of course!)

My gripe with the hologram is the same issue I have with ABC's show Resurrection. I feel that its an extremely insensitive concept for grieving people of bringing loved ones back to life. Personally, based on the recent tragedies of losing very close family members myself that I certainly wish I could see again, the hologram was just much too much for me strictly based on a respect for the emotional pain it causes family, and in Michael's case die hard fans. It provides a sense of false hope and false reality. Everyone grieves differently but, generally speaking for myself, kind of, but not really, when people are grieving they don't wish to witness their deceased relative as if their still here.

I regretfully write this. Regretfully because the Hologram performance was quite astonishing for me realizing the intricate details that it takes to make the hologram's mouth move as if its actually singing the song being played, (Michael was performing Slave to the Rhythm, from his new album released last week titled Xscape), or making the hologram, dance, and walk, and move. From a creativity perspective, it was very well put together.

Despite how amazing the work on the hologram, as an avid Michael Jackson fan I wasn't feeling it. It was odd to watch. I think that Michael's legacy should be left as that. The entire time I was watching I kept thinking "let that man rest in peace". I watched it feeling numb, wondering who thought this was a great idea, and being terrified of how advanced technology has become where the dead can re-appear or nah, because its not really them! Just a projection. Could you imagine? losing a loved one, and seeing them walking down the street, only to realize its not really them, just a projection. How difficult that would be to deal with.

Despite my respect for the hard work that went into creating the MJ hologram, Tupac Hologram, Elvis Hologram, Eazy E hologram, I just rather let grieving families grieve, and remember transitioned lives in other ways, like a slideshow, or show casing some living amazing talent, singing their songs as a dedication, or something. I much rather not see them in live performances on stage as if their present with me, enjoying the moment.


No more holograms please and thank you!


On a lighter note that Xscape Album is an amazing body of work. I was tickled to learn Michael was a crip on his song, titled Blue Gangsta. Kidding, the crip part, not the Blue Gangsta part! Check it out below in this fan video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback