How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire



The show Empire premiered tonight on Fox.



It stars Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard. Terrence plays a music mogul Lucious working to build an Empire/Legacy for his children while being troubled by the transgressions of his past one of which, is Taraji's character, Cookie, his ex-wife being released from jail after doing 17 years on his behalf. He also struggles with the present state of his health ( btw please no ice bucket challenges for fictional characters! he has ALS), which is the driving force behind his ambition of creating a legacy for Empire.

Veronika Bozeman gave us the opening vocals as an Empire Artist, and boy was it beautiful, even when she was made to sing it over!

I found the show to be entertaining although I couldn't help but feel like it was a continuation of the movie Hustle Flow lol. I kid. Kind of, I think it was Terrence Howard's hair! But in all seriousness I'm elated to see so many shows starring African-American casts, especially in a time where race relations have been sensitive and Reality Shows have been prevalent in Black representation of "television".  I  just appreciate yet another show, a scripted show, with some acting that is award worthy, not TMZ worthy.

I'm also a Gabrielle Sidibe fan, she gave me some glimpses of that witty attitude I'm used to in some of roles like on the show the C Word, so I'm excited to see more of her character and how her role develops as well.

What I liked about it: It went there! Point blank period. It touched on: Interracial Dating, Homosexuality, Homophobia, Life Growing Up In the Hood, Down ass Chick Syndrome, The Music Business, Loyalty and Friendship, Forgiveness, Single Parenthood, the Mother-Son Relationship, the Relationship between Straight Men and their Gay Sons, Homosexuality as a Choice, Sibling Rilvary...the list goes on and this is just Episode I...

I think Taraji as an actress has mastered how to deliver when it comes not shying away from the "shock value" just because the subject matter may be touchy for viewers. I question her acting sometimes, she has like this 4D element about her because she gets so deep into the roles, sometimes I think this is just really her,  like maybe she's not acting at all, just following the script lol. There's just this element of realness about her that I appreciate when I watch her in different roles.

I think some people are going to be outraged by some of the scenes, specifically as it relates to the relationship and language associated with the character Jamal played by Jussie Smollett. There were words used like faggot and sissy which, to me would be the equivalent to hearing the word Nigger used on regular television. However,  I think these scenes were, raw and real issues as it relates to being Gay and a man of color, when masculinity is defined by a very specific stereotypical prototype in Black Culture. These are issues that are often swept under the rug and I'm glad they are being highlighted on regular television. That's access people. We are giving our youth, our people, access to dialogue by having shows like this on free television!

I'm excited to see how the show develops. I was intrigued enough to continue watching. I really like the music as well. I think Lee Daniels (producer of Precious, and The Butler, and now Empire) and the entire cast has done a fantastic job so far. There's definitely some elements of pain that I'm excited to see unravel as the season progresses.

My favorite scene was when character Hakeem, interacts with his mother  Cookie  for the first time after being estranged for 17 years which leads him to calling her a Bitch. I believe his logic was that he didn't know her, or we don't know what he was taught about her. Nonetheless, there was animosity towards her and probably, from his perspective, most women because of the breakdown in the relationship with his mother. Anyway, Cookie wasn't having that disrespect and beat the hell out of him with a broom. I clapped! Respect is respect, especially when it comes to your mother!

What I didn't like: I felt like it was too much too fast and some of the transitions between the present and the past were a little confusing. I personally get lost when so many things occur in one episode to the point that I end up boycotting shows during the original airtime and binge watch after the season is done to make sure I didn't miss any details (again, personal problems lol!) . I get it though, we had to be lured in so we were hit hard with a lot of important facts.

Nonetheless,

Cheers to everyone involved in the show! I'm excited and praying for its success!

What did you think?





Comments

  1. I wasnt' going to watch the show at first. i was just going to keep my ear to the ground and then catch up later if it was interesting. BUT I checked it out and I'm am really excited about how this story is going to unravel. I'm a sucker for Shakespeare so the King Lear parallels make me smile. Taraji is perfect for Cookie. there's a looming excitement with Cookie coming into play and I cant think of anyone else who could deliver the role better. I see what you're saying though (is she acting or just being herself saying the lines) but her delivery is exactly what Cookie would feel like...intimidating, from around the way, dominating, upfront and complicated. My favorite scene? well, it's more a scene that stuck in my mind...when Cookie walks in the meeting and tells Lucious "dont touch me like that!" hahahhaha...Taraji! You made a good point about Hakeem's mommy issues and how he deals with women. I wonder if the older son has the same resentments but deals with them the opposite way. I appreciate Lee Daniel's approach in his work. He expects truth from his actors' performances and he uncompromisingly addresses social issues head on. that's brave. Well, I'm pleasantly surprised with the pilot. let's keep watching!
    -p.s. you like the music on the show? i think saw that Timbaland was executive music producer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the older son has the same resentments only because he had enough time to kind of get to know her before she left. He gets to love the memory of her even if she's very different than she was before and I think he will always hold on to the fact that this is the woman that loved me when my father tried to throw me away. The entire scene is a foreshadowing of Lucious handing him over to Cookie as an artist. Lee Daniels is genius. What do you think of the Blaxploitation views circulating?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback