2chainz, the t.r.u. story







2 Chainz comes to us with his first studio album as 2chainz  rather than Tity Boy, titled Based on a T.R.U. story. The College Park Native was apart of the original group Playaz Circle on DTP /Def Jam Records.

(Side note, is DTP the new Bad Boy, CEO prosperous, artists....ugh not so much...no shade Luda...shrugs.)

 "50k for a verse no album out" are the lyrics that roam through my head as I think about 2chainz being featured on almost every single on the airways right now. Following the Jay-Z, Niki, and Wayne formula of establishing a fan base before the album with heavy featurings, 2Chainz is presumptiously one of the hottest if not thee hottest MC out right now.

His southern drawl and witty lyrics has deemed him a t.r.u. representer of  the southern sound. I was originally drawn to 2chainz , when the music was off, while reading one of his interviews. His faith in God and his faith in his abilities were admirable to me. Its rare that artists shout out God in a way that goes beyond a shout out. I can only imagine the internal turmoil of tasting his dreams by being signed to DTP and kind of going under the radar after the release of Duffle Bag Boy featuring Lil Wayne and still pushing to find his success and come of age as an artist to see the release of his first solo album.

Based on a T.R.U. story takes me back to the days where Paul Wall wanted me to drive slow, or should we go back a little more, when Lil Flip and T.I. were battling for the title of King of the South, ok let's go further back when UGK was ridin' dirty, or even further back to OutKast and southernplaylisticadillacmuzik.

Maybe I went too far back?... Let's face it, is 2chainz lyrically amazing?  Lyrics like the chicken head lay eggs lyric or I wish a n--ga wood (would) like cabinets, make me say eeeh...not so much, but his music is fun.  He's definetly put the entertainment back into rap music, which is what the music is about right? Whenever he comes on I have the sudden urge to bounce. I want to rap along, I get into it. In that right, Based on a T.R.U. delivers. .

This album definetly encompasses some the elements of the new school paired with  the historical southern rap sound and blends a slight sprinkle of the trap sound. As I type this I'm bouncing to "Crack".  Its a ride-out, get ready to go out, heavy bass beat, type album. Its definetly an album for the streets.

The album features the popular heavy hitters: Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Drake. It also features legends like Scarface and John Legend, and even has a track with former Playaz Circle member Dolla Boy.

Check out Based on a T.R.U. story when it hits stores and my favorite song on the album "I'm Different"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback