The 20/20 Experience, My Vision is Clear: The Return of Justin Timberlake




I'm elated to present to you the return of Justin Timberlake in my first official music review in a long while.

Justin returns to us from the movie and television screen to bless our ears with new music. With FutureSex/Love Sounds in heavy rotation since 2006, the much anticipated 20/20 Experience is set to release March, 19th, 2013 and let me tell you it is quite the experience!

R&B and Hip-Hop have been co-mingling for some time now. Your favorite rapper is singing and your favorite singer is rapping or making dance pop music blah blah blah. I guess JT had enough just like the rest of us.

He gives us a clear vision of why he is one of thee best vocalists, musicians, and entertainers of all time. If you don't end up pregnant after first listen something just aint right. Lol Kidding (unless you gon' do it!).

I admire how his absence from the music scene for over 7 years has no influence on his relevance as an artist and his ability to re-define what RnB music should be in a time where music in general is evolving. He remained true to the JT sound by 1. Giving us harmonious vocals, sometimes in falsetto 2. Linking up with the Production Genius of Timbaland.

I love this album from start to finish which has been challenging for me with a lot of the albums coming from my favorite artists. This album is an instant classic and a must have. The album is cohesive with song times from five to seven minutes. We get a glimpse of his old soul and his young "swag" on every track.

Here's my track by track run down of The 20/20 Experience:

1. Pusher Love Girl- Reminds me of D'angelo's remake of Cruisin by Smokey Robinson. This song feels good and reminds you of those love drunk moments when you just didn't want to come down off of your this person is my everything high.

2. Suit and Tie- This is the first single from the album. I love how it begins with the slow grind and gets you in the mood to do "the carlton" and then slows down again with the King of slick talking himself Jay-Z over the track "I'll show you how do this young!"<<<I always want to elbow Justin Bieber after this lyric. LOL!

3. Don't Hold the Wall- Its fast enough to get your "crump" dance or shall I say harlem shake on (since that's the new dance craze), but slow enough to keep you in a groove. The Timbaland adlibs gives this song the perfect seasoning for a hit. This song is about JT guiding you to the best you've ever had. The instructions : "take it to the light/ its dark in the back/you starting to move it put an arch in ya back" oww lol. The syncipations and change in beat makes this song a dance hit!


4. Strawberry Bubblegum- Another mid-tempo track sang in falsetto about your flavor being so original, like strawberry bubblegum :) (Notice I write your so that you can insert yourself in every track. Sure, JT's singing about you lol!)

5. Tunnel Vision- I love the vocals on this song as he changes notes with each beat and the Timbaland duo again, puts the extra flavor on the song.

6. Spaceship Coupe- This is a baby maker! I love the piano keys and 808's and the bass guitar at the end. Its a slow jam about making love on the moon. Might as well get off on another planet in style. (MY FAVORITE SONG ON THE ALBUM!) The "You are Everything" by the Stylistics sample! Kills!

7. That Girl- This song has a little old school feel to it, its soulful and I like the harmonizing in the background.

8. Let the Groove Get In- This song reminds me of Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" with a bit of a more salsa feel? Not my favorite but I'm sure it'll grow on me when I'm working out.

9. Mirrors- This is old school JT produced by Timbaland. This is the 2nd single on the album. Also, not my favorite. I prefer the slower stuff but I think the lyrics are beautiful.

10. Blue Ocean Floor- This one is a beautiful mellow melody. The lyrics are deep. Silencing out the sound of the world being led by the beats of our heart. Love it!!!!


I appreciate artist that put out well thought out quality music. Cheers to JT on another classic.

Check out my favorite track from the album: Spaceship Coupe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback