Wrapping up Black Music Month





























June was an epic month for music with the release of some of summer's most anticipated albums. Here's the run down:

To begin music month (kind of but not really) The-Dream released his fourth studio album IV play on May 28th I'm a huge Dream fan so this album was highly anticipated for me especially after his proclaim to retiring from music. I think it's a good solid album but not necessarily his best work. He gave us something different with heavy featurings such as Big Sean, Pusha T, Jay-Z, Beyonce, and Fabolous what he didn't have as much on this album was his typical song transitions that start with one production sequence and ends with another... Hmmm maybe he felt like JT stole his style on this one and let it ride. There is some evidence of his signature sound on songs Ike Equestrian. He remained true to the heavy 808 beats and bump grind r Kelly influences by the album title alone and on songs like the title track IV Play. I don't think I can ever be disappointed by The-Dream with Songs like IV play and Psycho. This isn't my favorite album by him but I'll give him a pass.

Next stop on the music release is Kelly Rowland's Talk a Good Game. This album has made it's way on my favorite albums list. I feel like she's raw and grown up on this album and took different risks that worked for her. I feel like I'm meeting the real Kelly and I love her. My favorite song on this album is Skywalker featuring The-Dream of course! I don't think this album is a new sound for her per se but the lyrics are definitely refreshing and more open than her previous bodies of work.

Music month wouldn't be the same without two of the most dynamic rappers going head to head. Kanye versus J Cole. Everyone has their insight on who's album is better. While Yeezus is tracking higher on the charts J Cole is reigning number 1 in the streets (amongst my friends lol) . I really don't think you can compare the two though beyond their takes and play on religion. To be J Cole's sophomore album I'm glad he took his time to deliver such an amazing body of work. Born Sinner is the epitome of hip-hop artistry. He tells a story in such an eloquent way that is intertwined with conceptual metaphors and production that has a certain level of mass appeal that has everyone talking. I love seeing J Cole being such a mature artist at such a young age (in industry years) I appreciate his ethic to remaining true to the essence of hip-hop while still putting out a body of work that will easily gain commercial success. My favorite song on this album is Forbidden Fruit ft Kendrick Lamar.

Yeezus on the other hand is breaking the mold of what everyone expects hip hop to be. I see it as a piece of art rather than an album. To understand the work you must understand the artist. Although the lyrical content doesn't bleed genius I think Kanye's ability to mesh hip-hop with funk, pop , rock into ten songs is genius. My favorite track is New Slaves. He discusses how black people are not the only race of people that are slaves to material well being. I think Kanye has created art in the form of music that can only be appreciated by a select few. Without releasing any singles in anticipation of the release of the album I think having a No. 1 chart topper speaks for itself.

There were some other releases this month that are noteworthy such as Mac Miller's -Watching Movies with Mac Miller, this album is extremely sentimental and reflective of Mac as a person and the pressures of the social unnorm of being a white lyricist. Overall I think it's a solid album my fav track is Gees ft Schoolboy Q.

Finally Wale's The Gift I found myself bored listening to this album. I felt like this album had no girth or energy behind it. I think it may have served better as a mixtape? I was disappointed especially because I love Wale as a lyricist. I'm sure after a few more listens it'll grow on me but I'm not feeling it. My fav track was the bad remix ft rhianna... Blah!

For a music lover I think the month of June was done right with the release of some great bodies of work!

Additionally check out some of the history behind black music month on the root.com http://mobile.theroot.com/articles/culture/2013/05/kenny_gamble_on_black_music_month_2013_its_all_about_marketing_musicians.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback