HairyKat Picks: The 2013 List-9 Lives Reviving Hip-Hop




Last year I dropped my list of artist that I believed to be the Kats (because this is the HairyKat Chronicles, and Kats have nine lives...duh, lol) that signified that we hadn't closed the casket on hip-hop just yet.  See link to last year's list: ( http://hairykat.blogspot.com/2012/05/kats-have-nine-lives-reviving-hip-hop.html )
 
It's only appropriate that within the week that the hip-hop world is going crazy over Kendrick Lamar's verse featured on Big Sean's -Control that I provide my 2013 list of artist that I see as innovative yet understand the historical work ethic and artistry that is hip-hop and music in general and are in fact keeping hip-hop alive.



1. Kool Head - Kool Head consists of duo Jason Nitti and Brandon Lee hailing from New York and Atlanta. At first listen I was just excited, I actually drooled when I listened to their single Trans AM. Their sound is so refreshing and representative of the transition of the hip-hop culture that is no longer restricted to a certain ethnicity or class of people but is and should be respected as music that appeals to a mass array of people from different walks of life and creates unity amongst culture and classes. To define their sound is to put Hip-Hop, Funk, and New Wave in a blender and getting the smooth (get it, smooth? smoothie, blender?) sounds of Black Wave music. Their music is vintagely (not really a word, do not Google) amazing.

Check out their song: Trans AM and find them on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/koolheadUSA/info




2. Ace Da Youngin - previously featured on the HairyKat Chronicles with the release of his Big Brother Mixtape. When you listen to his music you can hear his undeniable passion for hip-hop. That's an element that seems to be missing from other artists over the years in hip-hop. Without passion the art loses its appeal and we as fans are fed propaganda to love the artist and not necessarily the art. This isn't the case with Ace. His music is full of witty metaphors and  he has impeccable delivery that gets you roared up and keeps you engaged. Ace Da Youngin is apart of the He Gott Next Entertainment group and has released The Big Brother Mixtape. ( http://www.datpiff.com/Ace-Da-Youngin-Big-Brother-mixtape.473732.html).

Check Out Ace's NoWhereInAmerica  and find Him on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/He-Gott-Nextt/161914920496559
 
 
3. Russian Rullet- Hailing from Inglewood, CA is the epitome of  cypher with a delivery of word play that sounds like he's challenging his peers to a  rap battle. The crispness of his lyrics remind me of Talib Kweli. I enjoy the eagerness and hunger in his sound paralleled with the seemingly comfort of a seasoned artist. In blog after blog I've complained about my favorite artist making it and forgetting that it was the hunger that  provided that path to their success. Russian Rullet's sound is classic yet pristine, undeterred by the "new hip-hop" or "ratchet music? is it called now?". (mixtape: Mr. Louis http://www.datpiff.com/RUSSIAN-RULLET-MrLouis-mixtape.344872.html)
 
Check out his song: Politics of Bizzness and find him on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RULLET/
 
 
4. R. Swift- Has the delivery of Rick Ross and the message of a prophet. He intertwines scripture in his rap lyrics with music and beats that can be felt on every block and pew. I love the incorporation of ministry in hip-hop music and that R.Swift is not ashamed of his faith. I got to see him perform live recently in Los Angeles and he had the crowd on their feet. I love that he has a gritty sound with a purpose filled message. His sound is  the imagery of the daily battle between the human body and the spirit. I enjoy the energy in his music that is just as touching as a gospel hymn. Sometimes you need a different way to praise and as I am admittedly a lover of secular music R. Swift's music gives me that balance.
 
                                      Check out his single: Awesome God and check him on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/swift215
 

5.  Joey Bada$$ - the intelligence of this guy just oozes off of every line. Joey is from Brooklyn and has three mixtapes under his belt : 1999, Rejex, and Summer Knights. I love the classical feel of his sound, his music takes me back to East Coast hip hop in the 80's which is breathtaking because Joey is only 18 years old. He raps with confidence and has the seasoning of a veteran and writes with depth and and iterates his experiences as if he's a person that has  been on this earth for 50 plus years. 
 
Check out my favorite Joey Bada$$ track Waves and find him on facebook:
 
 
 

 
 
6.  A$AP Nast - I'm a fan of the A$AP crew but A$AP Nast has proved to be one of my favorites. He has a brash delivery that sets him a part from the styles of his fellow A$AP Mob crew members. Also a New York Native, his delivery and sound have the versatility to maintain that East Coast feel with the incorporation of some southern drawl. I love the grimy style of Nast's music.
 
Check out my favorite Nast track F--- Swag and Check out the deets on the A$AP Crew Here: http://www.asapmob.com/category/news/
 
 

 
7. Iman Shumpert- Typically I would argue that most people excel at their day job and should stick to it  but Iman Shumpert, of the New York Knicks is pretty ill as a rapper in my opinion. His music isn't one of those rhymie catch tunes like Superman the rapper (yes I just threw shade at Shaq), Iman has skills in my opinion. He has a certain eloquence in the rhythmic flow of his delivery that proves that he's a contender in the booth. Iman or 2wo 1ne as he is called on the stage has a mixtape under his belt titled: Th3 #Post90s.

 Checkout his Versace Freestyle
 
 
8. Iamsu- hails from Richmond California and wears both the rapper and producer hat. Not new to the game, Iamsu dropped his first mixtape in 2010 titled Su! The Right Thing and has dropped 6 since then. I am a huge Bay Area music fan and Su definitely represents the movement of  slick talking over up-tempo and hard hitting bass beats. I love his laid back style and signature "suzie" and "aye"  adlib on every track.
Checkout Iamsu! Freestyling:
 
9. Jewelz Jaylii- every since Shawna got back on the pole, Diamond broke up with Scrappy,  and Nicki Minaj traded in her Beam Me Up Scotty flows for Barbie Dreamhouses, I've been dying for a female lyricist to fall in love with. Jewelz Jaylii does it for me. Jaylii hails from Ohio and has a tenacious vibe that syncs her confidence with her skill. I find myself in a deep head nod listening to her speed through bars of fire. Jaylii has three solo mixtapes under her belt  (http://www.datpiff.com/Jewelz-Jaylii- )
 
Check out her song Now I see Why and check her out on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jayliigotjuice
 
 


And well folks that's my 2013 list. Support these artists and celebrate these exciting times of hip-hop.

                                                                           -KAT
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback