OMG LADIES! HIDE YOUR WOMB! ....Trey Songz returns with chapter v!





The RnB Mixtape King Trey Songz, (pause, "Did she say RnB mixtape King?" ,"YES I DID", "name another RnB artist that did a full SUCCESSFUL, sold-out tour off of a mixtape"...go ahead, I'll wait...) lol. As I was saying, RnB Mixtape King Trey Songz hits us with another chapter in his Songbook titled Chapter V.

I've particularly enjoyed watching, (I meant hearing,) ok hearing and watching, lol... the Virgina Native grow as an artist,coming into his own unique sound. When you hear a "yup, whoop, or harmonous hmm," to an intro of a song, you know its Trey on the track.

I must admit I was a bit nervous for this album as many of my favorite artists have "crossed over" to the sound of pop (side eyes Ne-Yo, swear I wish Let me Love you was a "regular" rnb song, anywho)... Trey has crossed over in a different way by introducing us to Trigga the rapper (in case you haven't met him on Trey's Lemme Hold that Beat and Anticipation 2 mixtape.) on songs Playin Hard and Check Me Out ft. Meek Mill and Diddy.

As a Trey Songz fanatic, owning every album in his discography including the Inevitable EP, the MTV Unplugged Album, and all the Anticipation , Anticipation 2, Lemme Hold that Beat Mixtapes....I must say that the Anticipation Mixtape will forever stand as my favorite body of work by him and I have personally deemed that mixtape as the turning point of Trey Songz career, which was followed by his most successful studio album Ready.

When it comes to Chapter V I feel like I need a double disc. While I enjoy the shit talking club bangers to a degree...(he's got some explaining to do about bitches being an affirmative term,...rolls eyes!), I fell in love with Trey Songz' vocals from  the very first single "Gotta Make It" and would love a studio album of 18 ballads, at the very least.... Am I being spoiled? lol. whateva!

Despite my spoiled ways, Trey remains consistent  with the formula that's worked for him with his past albums in providing an array of songs relative to content and sound.

Throughout his discography Trey Songz has always provided a complete album curtailing to every mood with a mix of ballads, "bump n grind" music, and club appealing songs featuring our favorite rappers from Jim Jones to Young Joc, to Fabolous, Drake to Nicki Minaj, and most recently Rick Ross, T.I., Wayne, Diddy, Meek Mill, and Jeezy on the Chapter V album (still waiting on that Hov collab!).

Content wise Trey Songz definetly listened to the critcs that say "all he talks about is sex". He opens up as a man on the single Heart Attack, and other songs such as  Bad Decisions and Fumble (my favorite song on the album).

If you recall Made to be Together on the Passion, Pain, and Pleasure album, he returns with  a "soul jerker, make mama proud song", titled Without A Woman (further tapping into his inner R.Kelly) where we really get to experience his vocal range from vebratos to falsettos. (wait I think this is my favorite song on the album). ...This song makes you forgive him about only going out for the bitches and the drinks...and may even explain the difference...

Overall while Chapter V is not particularly my favorite Trey Songz album, it gets the job done in satisfying Trey Songz fans such as myself (that are actually into his music and not JUST his nakedness lol!) craving for more of his music. I definetly sense a level of comfort on this album that I've only been able to fully experience in his mixtapes thus far. Its more of  an"I'm here feel" rather than "I've just arrived" and by comfort I mean there seems to be a transition in ownership in the creative direction of Trey Songz sound and image.

I like it and I'm sure I'll love it after I've played it out over the remainder of this week lol. I definetly have favorite songs on the album that was love at first listen. I mean, who could NOT love a song called Panties Wetter? lol! Chapter VI definetly needs a song called "Panties Dissolved!," LOL!!!! Aww man....Enough of the ratchetness...
Check out my favorite song from the album  "Without A Woman" and some of my other favorite Trey Songz tracks.



Trey Songz-Without a Woman




 Trey Songz-Find a Place (THIS MY SHAT!!!!)




Trey Songz-On Top


Trey Songz-In the Middle


 Trey Songz-We Should Be

                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did the Cookie Crumble? My take on Empire

Single Mom Travels (it's kind of a long read, so grab a snack!)

We Heard, We Saw, We Conquered: The September Lookback